|View in browser|
A WNBA Championship and the 'Field of Dreams' Game
I mentioned yesterday that Corbin Burnes pitching against the Cubs might produce a special strikeout total. I was right: He struck out 10 straight Cubs to tie an MLB record.
I can only hope my recommendations are that good every day! We have quite the mix of options to watch tonight, from the Field of Dreams game in Iowa to the WNBA Commissioner's Cup championship, plus the NFL preseason begins in earnest and more top prospects face off at NBA Summer League.
Check out what I'll be watching tonight.
WNBA Commissioner's Cup Championship: Connecticut Sun vs. Seattle Storm
At a time in the U.S. sports calendar when exhibitions like NBA Summer League and NFL preseason games dominate the talk shows, how about tuning into something with a trophy (and cash!) on the line?
The WNBA regular season restarts after its Olympic break Sunday, but tonight's showdown for the first Commissioner's Cup should be wildly entertaining. The Storm and Sun each sit at the top of their respective conferences, so this winner-take-all matchup could be a precursor to the WNBA Finals.
The biggest story line to watch is fresh legs. The Sun's entire roster (including star post player Jonquel Jones) was off for the Olympic period and was able to rest up. The Storm featured five Olympians, including three gold medalists from Team USA in Jewell Loyd, Breanna Stewart and Sue Bird.
9:00 p.m. ET, Amazon Prime Video
- U.S. Women's Basketball Isn't Slowing Down After Another Gold (Michael Rosenberg)
- WNBA Announces Commissioner's Cup Tournament With $500,000 Prize (Joseph Salvador)
- How WNBA No. 1 Picks Realized a Career in the League Was Possible (Erica Ayala)
- Field of Dreams: New York Yankees vs. Chicago White Sox | The scenes and atmosphere for this game should be incredibly cool. But the game itself might not live up to the hype: Yankees starter Andrew Heaney has struggled mightily since being acquired in July, and New York's bullpen is depleted as a result of injuries and COVID-19 issues. 7:00 p.m. ET, Fox, Watch on fuboTV
- Pittsburgh Steelers at Philadelphia Eagles | There's some quarterback drama to watch in this one, as Dwayne Haskins and Mason Rudolph fight for the Steelers' backup job, and Jalen Hurts looks to officially earn the starting job in Philadelphia. Plus, there's always a chance for fireworks when two in-state rivals face off. 7:30 p.m. ET, NBC10/KDKA, Watch on fuboTV
- Houston Rockets vs. Toronto Raptors | In another matchup between 2021 top draft choices, Jalen Green's Rockets take on Scottie Barnes' Raptors. Green has shined, but the Rocket most worth watching might be Turkish big Alperen Şengün, one of the biggest stars of Summer League. 8:00 p.m. ET, NBA TV, Watch on fuboTV
- Toronto Blue Jays at Los Angeles Angels | It's always worth tuning in when Shohei Ohtani pitches (and hits) for the Angels. The ace hasn't allowed more than two runs in a start since June but will face one of baseball's toughest lineups. The Blue Jays are 11–3 since adding José Berríos at the trade deadline. He'll get the ball tonight. 9:38 p.m. ET, Sportsnet ONE/Bally Sports West, Watch on fuboTV
Washington Football Team at New England Patriots
There's plenty of intrigue in this one thanks to the Patriots' quarterback competition. Both Cam Newton and first-round pick Mac Jones are expected to play in this one. While Newton is believed to have the inside track to start in Week 1, it's always fun to get a first look at a rookie quarterback—especially one with a real chance to get on the field early this season.
The New England quarterbacks will have to deal with Chase Young and the Washington defense. Since it's the preseason, here's a recommendation: Spend a series or two focusing entirely on Young rather than following the ball. His mix of power, speed and pass-rush moves as a defensive end is incredible to watch.
7:30 p.m. ET, NFL Network, Watch on fuboTV
Think we missed something worth watching? Reply to email@example.com and let us know what we should be looking out for and why
Sports Illustrated may receive compensation for some links to products and services in this article.
Regional restrictions may apply.