|View in browser|
Watch the Knicks Take on the Hawks As Summer League Winds Down
A full weekend of sports is officially in the books, with everything from Justin Fields's debut in Chicago to the Sky's OT win over the Seattle Storm in the WNBA's restart catching my eye. Monday's slate is a relatively quiet one as Summer League begins to wind down. Though the stars will be out on the diamond in the Bronx tonight. Plus, there's plenty of time to catch up on Ted Lasso if you haven't already!
Here's what I'm tuning in for tonight.
Atlanta Hawks vs. New York Knicks
They may not feature top-five picks, but these two squads have produced some of the most entertaining basketball we've seen in Las Vegas. The Hawks' young duo of Jalen Johnson and Sharife Cooper has turned heads—Johnson for his versatility and athleticism, Cooper for his passing skill and quickness. On the other side, Knicks rookies Quentin Grimes and Miles McBride have each had bright moments, while second-year players Immanuel Quickley and Obi Toppin have been among the most productive players in Vegas.
The Knicks have also been one of the highest-scoring teams in the event, ranking fourth in the league at more than 90 points per game. That type of tempo and scoring output should produce plenty of entertaining plays on both ends of the floor. Cooper's skill level matched against a defender like McBride should be a lot of fun to watch.
7 p.m. ET, NBA TV, watch on fuboTV
- Knicks Make Measured Moves in Path Back to Relevance (Michael Shapiro)
- Who Will Emerge as the Best From 2021 NBA Draft Class? (Chris Mannix)
- Ted Lasso | Episode four of Season 2 of the feel-good comedy was released Friday. If you haven't watched it yet, now is the time. No spoilers, but it's a Christmas-themed episode! Apple TV+
- Oakland Athletics at Chicago White Sox | Two teams in the thick of the American League pennant chase battle on Chicago's South Side. The A's have won eight of 10 to put some pressure on the Astros in the AL West, but still aren't safe from the hard-charging Yankees in the wild-card race. 8:10 p.m. ET, ESPN, watch on fuboTV
- Detroit Pistons vs. Orlando Magic | Several high-profile Pistons, including No. 1 draft choice Cade Cunningham, sat out the team's most recent game in Vegas due to nagging injuries. If Cunningham winds up playing in this one, tune in. You likely won't see him again until the season tips off in the fall. 8 p.m. ET, ESPN2, watch on fuboTV
- Western & Southern Open | U.S. Open tune-ups continue this week just outside of Cincinnati. Several high-profile players on both the men's and women's side will be in attendance, including Naomi Osaka. Osaka has pledged to donate all prize money she earns at the event to help Haiti recover from a devastating earthquake. Tennis Channel, watch on fuboTV
Los Angeles Angels at New York Yankees
Gerrit Cole returns to the mound for the first time since being out from COVID-19 earlier this month. The first batter he'll face will, in all likelihood, be Shohei Ohtani. Not only is Ohtani unbelievably entertaining to watch, but he's hitting to the short porch in right field at Yankee Stadium.
Cole will have his hands full with Ohtani at the top of the Angels' lineup but may not have too much trouble otherwise. The Angels have scuffled of late and sit in fourth place in the AL West, despite having the likely choice for AL MVP in Ohtani.
7:05 p.m. ET, MLB Network, watch on fuboTV
Think we missed something worth watching? Reply to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know what we should be looking out for and why
Sports Illustrated may receive compensation for some links to products and services in this article.
Regional restrictions may apply.